A Brief Overview of Medicare Parts A and B

A Brief Overview of Medicare Parts A and B

Medicare was created in 1965 when US President Lyndon Johnson put Title XVIII, an amendment to the Social Security Act, into force to provide people aged 65 or over with health insurance. In addition, younger people with disabilities or those with end-stage renal disease were also screened. Originally the program was Medicare Part A and B with “A” as hospital coverage and “B” as cover for medical expenses (ie medical visits) and needed medical equipment.

Medicare Part A – Hospital Insurance

Covers hospital stays, including inpatient accommodation. It involves being in a semi-private room, your food and all the tests that need to be administered. It also includes staying in a qualified care facility to recover from injury or surgery, provided that the person has met certain criteria (the breakdown of these criteria is available on the Medicare website). Part A also has a deductible of $ 1,184 (as of 2013) and it is important to keep in mind that this is a deductible “per period of service” and not an annual deductible.


Part A covers a maximum of 100 days in a care facility, while the maximum stay is 90 days for inpatient stays. In addition, people who need hospice care and have a fatal illness whose life lasts 6 months or less are also covered under Medicare A. The treatment covered includes medication, pain relief and symptom control.

Medicare Part A covers your hospital costs. These include hospitalization, skilled care (if care is not the only care you need), hospice and home care. For Part A benefits, you may be required to pay various deductibles, co-insurances and co-payments.

Medicare Part B – Health Insurance

Some medical products and services not covered by Part A are normally covered in Part B for outpatient purposes. Part B is a deferred option if the beneficiary or his spouse is still employed and receives health insurance provided by the employer. Part B coverage will take effect as soon as the person has paid their $ 147 deductible (as of 2013). From then on, Medicare covers 80% of the approved spend while the person is responsible for the remaining 20%. Many people are looking for a Medicare Supplement Plan to cover what Part A & B does not cover.

Medicare Part B give you insurance for your health. It includes 2 types of services, which include services necessary for the treatment of diseases or situations like doctor visits, laboratory work, X-rays and outpatient surgery, as well as preventative services to keep you healthy, such as cancer screening and flu vaccines.

How to distinguish Medicare parts A and B.

Apart from the general breakdown of Medicare Part A and B mentioned above, there are other differences between the two. In addition to hospital stays and the above-mentioned areas, Part A also includes blood transfusions and home health services. Part B covers other aspects that are not covered in Part A. Occupational and physical therapy as well as outpatient care are usually covered under Medicare Part B.

Medicare Parts A and B have certain benefits that may apply to your circumstances, depending on the health insurance you need. For more information about Medicare Part A and B, visit the official Medicare website.

Get a quote for supplement plans for 2019 @ https://www.medicaresupplementplans2019.com